aviy: (Default)
[personal profile] aviy
GUYZ, pimp me things!

SPECIFICALLY I am actually looking for a character for roleplaying in an UNDISCLOSED PLACE. I really want to play from a canon I haven't read yet and have never played in. I am not INTO ANYTHING NEW nor have I been since uh... I think the last new thing I got into was Fairy Tail like, last July. So yeah. I MISS NEW STUFF. I have READ stuff! Just not really got into.

ASSEMBLING A LIST OF WHAT I HAVE READ WOULD BE HARD. But CHANCE ARE if it has a LARGE FANBASE I have looked at it, and am either into it or not interested for reasons I can tell you of if you like.

The TYPE of character I am looking for is something that is Not Really A Hero, possibly manipulative, and definitely with some character depth that would be fun to explore in a high stress situation. Characters I've played before that are LIKE THIS are uh, Kira Sakuya, Riku, Ticky, etc. Which is to say, people that aren't generally clearly bad or good. THAT SAID you don't need to have any of these in mind to rec something to me! I WILL CHECK STUFF OUT RIGHT NOW just note that I'm looking for things with good character narrative. Also, I'll be making icons so pretty gets you a lot of points.

Manga and anime are both find. TV show is fine if I can FIND IT ONLINE. I am a big fan of hulu guyz. Games are uh. Well. RECCING GAMES IS GOOD but I won't have time to play anything for a while, nor money to buy them. But you're more than welcome to sell me on what I should spend money on next. I have a PS3, a PSP, a DS and a Wii to make use of.

BASICALLY I'm tired of having no new interests get me into something )=

Date: 2009-04-03 03:36 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] jikeidannin.livejournal.com
Kuroshitsuji? :3

Date: 2009-04-03 03:38 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] aviy.livejournal.com
Read most of it, it's cute and I like it but I'm not that into it.

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] jikeidannin.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 03:39 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] aviy.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 03:41 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] jikeidannin.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 03:42 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] aviy.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 03:43 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] jikeidannin.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 03:44 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] aviy.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 03:45 am (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2009-04-03 03:36 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] jikeidannin.livejournal.com
OH, I also liked Let Dai, which is harder to find online, but not impossible. It's Korean BL manga, and I adored it. If you can't find it, though, I can upload it. It's only 13 volumes.

Date: 2009-04-03 03:59 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] aviy.livejournal.com
Hm, what's it about? That's actually PRETTY LONG for a bl.

,... i mean what's it about other than you know. boys and sex.

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] jikeidannin.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 04:04 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] aviy.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 04:07 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] jikeidannin.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 04:11 am (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2009-04-03 04:18 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] robowolf.livejournal.com
fkdsjlfasd LET DAI the jetko community loev let dai

EDIT: DISREGARD EVERTHING, GO HERE (http://aviy.livejournal.com/258704.html?thread=1056912#t1056912")
Edited Date: 2009-04-03 06:51 am (UTC)

Date: 2009-04-03 03:41 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] telrunya.livejournal.com
Watch Michiko to Hatchin? Or Pandora Hearts, Sakura Gari, and/or Vassalord if you haven't read them yet.

Date: 2009-04-03 04:00 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] aviy.livejournal.com
I'VE READ PANDORA HEARTS not recently so I should catch up but yeah it didn't grab me either. TALK TO ME ABOUT THESE OTHER THINGS.

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] telrunya.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 04:08 am (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2009-04-03 03:49 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] vaudevillainy.livejournal.com
My hope is that if Lauren and I keep trapping you in a car with us while we talk about comics, you will want to read them just so you can understand our words.

Date: 2009-04-03 04:03 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] aviy.livejournal.com
I HAVE ACTUALLY READ SOME AMERICAN COMICS. But HINT: One shot stuff does waaaaaaay better with me than serialized things, as I find the whole. Thing. where american comics are incredibly inconsistent and switch artists and change the characters and the relationships around all the time VERY CONFUSING and hard )= I.E. my favorite Marvel character is Cable from when I was reading Cable and Deadpool but THEN THAT STOPPED and I )= and of course Cable's origins are lolol I never even tried to go there. so. yeah.

I have read Arkham Asylum and uh. that one where Batman is old, and Watchmen, and I liked all of these muchly. I've already read the start of Blue Beetle and come to think of it I have like. all of Preacher I just haven't read it. etc.

SHOW ME STUFF THAT IS ENJOYABLE THAT I DON'T HAVE TO READ FIFTY MILLION OTHER THINGS TO FOLLOW.

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] vaudevillainy.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 04:06 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] aviy.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 04:09 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] vaudevillainy.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 04:09 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] aviy.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 04:18 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] vaudevillainy.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 04:34 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] aviy.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 04:35 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] vaudevillainy.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 04:36 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] aviy.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 04:38 am (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2009-04-03 03:51 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] wonderseal.livejournal.com
Yeah, okay, this isn't relevant to your specifications, but! In case you want a headstart, the WB (http://www.thewb.com/shows/pushing-daisies) has the first season of Pushing Daisies!!!

Date: 2009-04-03 04:03 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] aviy.livejournal.com
OH SCORE /o/
(deleted comment)

Date: 2009-04-03 04:06 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] aviy.livejournal.com
THE FACT THAT YOU DON'T USE CAPITALIZATION MAKES IT VERY HARD TO UNDERSTAND WHICH OF THOSE WERE TITLES I SHOULD BE LOOKING INTO. Sugar Sugar Rune, Pierre and uh, Cantarella?
(deleted comment)

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] aviy.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 04:14 am (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2009-04-03 03:59 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] alexander.livejournal.com
INNOCENT VENUS (ANIME)
two dudes and a loli do terrorism
MEMNYOSYNE (ANIME)
lesbians fight crime through time, guro, sex, ishida akira
CODE: BREAKER (MANGA)
I'M A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE versus mutants
TAKERU (MANGA)
I'm a Takeru, you're a Takeru, hey we're destined o god why is the sword voring people
Edited Date: 2009-04-03 04:02 am (UTC)

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] alexander.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 04:06 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] aviy.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 04:08 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] alexander.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 04:11 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] dosetsu.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 04:27 am (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2009-04-03 04:14 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] perfectdays.livejournal.com
If you want pretty + good character narrative, I'm going to want to know why you haven't watched Gankutsuou yet :(. Because, seriously. I mean. Not because I am pimping out my own canon because I can honestly say that there's not anybody else left in it in it that is really appable in camp. BUT JUST BECAUSE. IT IS FUCKING AMAZING OKAY. I just, ahhhh. It is so amazing. I should stop saying that, but it IS. I can give you DL links etc etc. Also a summary if you want/need one.

Date: 2009-04-03 04:14 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] perfectdays.livejournal.com
DAMNIT I DIDN'T MEAN TO TYPE "IN IT" TWICE and now I can't edit my comments on this account OH WELL YOU KNEW WHAT I MEANT. ... I hope.

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] aviy.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 04:25 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] megido - Date: 2009-04-03 04:29 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] perfectdays.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 04:30 am (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2009-04-03 04:25 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] riley-boi.livejournal.com
I have no suggestions (other than my obligatory POKEYMONS) but am gonna stalk this post too. Haven't read/played/watched anything in agessss.

Date: 2009-04-03 04:27 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] aviy.livejournal.com
YOU SHOULD TRY NEW STUFF YES )= LIKE UH. well dds |D

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] riley-boi.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 04:29 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] megido - Date: 2009-04-03 04:30 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] riley-boi.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 04:30 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] vorenado.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 04:32 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] riley-boi.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 04:36 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] vorenado.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 04:37 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] riley-boi.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 04:39 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] vorenado.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 04:41 am (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2009-04-03 05:20 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] laserdragon.livejournal.com
NOT AN ANIMU SUGGESTION but I will continue to bug you to read Chuck Palahniuk. All of his books are about homoeroticism and awesome things happening. He just has a MAGNIFICENT narrative voice. I would suggest starting with Lullaby or Choke. Though I have heard that his newest one is one Fight Club levels of hoyay.

Also for comics if you haven't yet you might like Sandman. Or really anything like Gaiman. I can think of a decent number of his characters that may hit your Tiki/Kira/Riku pings particularly in American Gods and Neverwhere.

Utena DVDs are being reprinted soon. And if you do not love Utena I will eat my fucking hat. It has very pretty very dickerous men. Fights that are far better animated than a 90's anime had any right to be. IT'S WEIRD SHIT but really can not recommend it enough. Do not touch the manga. It has a completely different plot some of the characters are missing and just. Ick. Actually, a lot of megaten games (particularly P3 and what I've played so far of DDS) have kind of the same "feel" to them as Utena does. We played them for the lulz in camp, but it's not really quite a comedy. It's just. IT'S HARD TO EXPLAIN BUT IT REALLY IS AMAZING.

Touga is this douche bag who is a douche because he's so fucking amazing that he really thinks every asinine thing he does he did because he's SO FUCKING NOBLE MAN. Even He just has no idea how to be a decent human being.

And Akio is far cooler, than I was capable of playing him I PROMISEEITHER ONE OF THESE CHARACTERS MAY APPEAL TO YOU.


Ffff I haven't watched enough anime that didn't come out ten years ago.

I kind of half suggest the manwah Ragnrok by Myung-Jin Lee. It's been a while since I re-read but there are a couple characters I can think of that miiiiiight hit those pings. But then the series went on an indefinite hiatus several years ago just when the plot was getting good. So. :|


WATCH THE END OF REBOOT IT GETS LEGITIMATELY COOL.

Date: 2009-04-03 05:26 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] aviy.livejournal.com
sweetie I watched Utena like a million years ago. All of it. And I own the movie.

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] laserdragon.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 05:30 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] minding-mirrors.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 05:34 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] laserdragon.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 06:05 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] laserdragon.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 06:12 am (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2009-04-03 06:06 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] telcontar.livejournal.com
I FORGET did you ever read World Embryo? Because you should. Riku definitely fits the kind of character you're describing up there.

Date: 2009-04-03 10:07 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] aviy.livejournal.com
NOPE. but it's not available on onemanga )=

Date: 2009-04-03 06:06 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] officialbizness.livejournal.com
-- see I've been debating asking my FL for some giant pretty slut to play, but I figured I couldn't make that sound Not Creepy.

Date: 2009-04-03 10:07 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] aviy.livejournal.com
...you worry about being creepy now?

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] officialbizness.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-04 04:09 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] aviy.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-04 04:25 pm (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2009-04-03 06:49 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] robowolf.livejournal.com
OKAY, HERE, ALL OF LET DAI (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=59fb08cc6e263da28c9e7c56ba37815f956cea21b95c3ddd)

Date: 2009-04-03 10:07 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] aviy.livejournal.com
I LOVE YOU I WILL CHECK IT OUT I AM FOND OF BL

QUICK WARNING

From: [identity profile] robowolf.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-04 01:42 am (UTC) - Expand

Re: QUICK WARNING

From: [identity profile] omnomivorous.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-04 07:16 pm (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2009-04-03 12:31 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] freckledknight.livejournal.com
Read The Graveyard Book. Nobody Owens starts off as a little kid yeah but he grows up and while he's a good guy for sure, his methods are questionable and unfair by normal standards, which I think makes things interesting. It's not a very long book, but a nice quick jaunt! If you take him from age 15ish you get a fun array of powers. You'd have to find icons for him though.

Also! Not available entirely online but some of it is--I really like Yumekui Kenbun right now, AKA Nightmare Inspector in english. It's a collection of short stories about a boy who is really a Baku, an eater of nightmares. He is kind of a dick, but not entirely bad sometimes. He does enjoy eating nightmares, especially the bloody ones. Later on it starts developing longer plotlines which is also good. The scanlations are only partway and the english releases are Viz, but it's not gonna be a very long series. Perks of this canon is of course the ability to dreamwalk and gnaw on people's problems. Also, it has Hifumi who is the hilarious eccentric rich kid who hangs out with the nightmare eater. He sleeps in a golden bathtub. I love him.

If you wanna do a long run, I also suggest GTO. Onizuki is a hero! Kinda. He's. Well. He's Onizuka. He's a hot teacher with a motorcycle. The sheer amount of crazy shit and crazy faces would be fun and amazing. I'm sure you're familiar enough with the concept to decide.

Violinist of Hameln is full of manipulative jerk heroes, wtfitry, and also its now completely online on onemanga. The quality of scans IMPROVES so give it a go without being turned off. The quality of the manga itself also picks up as Hamel is joined by Flute, Raiel, Trom, and Sizer. It's hilarious. And has made me tear the fuck up. And I usually don't tear up over manga. But mostly the laughing. ANYWAY Hamel is a jerk who tries to sell his companions, their belongings, and basically is just a horrible asshole who doesn't like the feelings and the getting close to people. I KNOW IT LOOKS UGLY but if you give a good try it becomes amazing and you forget. Kinda like Escaflowne where you forget you hate the faces.

If all else fails I suggest you watch Heroes and just grab Angela Petrelli. Or Sylar. Who is not a hero but you do get THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWT15PHGuWI) which is amazing.

Date: 2009-04-03 03:10 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] bromantic.livejournal.com
Hades from Saint Seiya Lost Canvas. Don't be fooled by the original, the new Saint Seiya prequel IS SHINY WITH PRETTY ART.

See what you can do with the art in these (http://www.livejournal.com/allpics.bml?user=marionettion) pretty (http://www.livejournal.com/allpics.bml?user=death_by_rose) icons (http://www.livejournal.com/allpics.bml?user=heartstings)

Hades pretty much fills all your categories; he's manipulative, he's the LORD OF HELL, but he was also once the most pure-hearted soul on earth and his backstory is just :(.

The manga can be found online. The anime is due to come out soon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaKW5JAG0B4).

Date: 2009-04-03 04:09 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] minding-mirrors.livejournal.com
...damn my tragic hell lord pings.

*reads over iPod at work like fail*

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] bromantic.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 04:10 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] aviy.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 04:30 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] bromantic.livejournal.com - Date: 2009-04-03 04:32 pm (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2009-04-03 05:32 pm (UTC)
comic: An upside down arrow with dual colors on a red background with various details. (type type type type)
From: [personal profile] comic
Liar Game? One of the main characters is a con-man, and the plot has him doing his best to be a step ahead of other 'liars'.

Seconding Great Teacher Onizuka, I love that dude, but don't think it's on onemanga-type things.

Date: 2009-04-03 10:50 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] triple-c.livejournal.com
if you like fighting games, there's always STREET FIGHTER IV. also you didn't mention having a PS2 but they're mad cheap and you can get king of fighters '98 ultimate match for like $20; '98 is like the best one next to 2002 BUT IF YOU DON'T LIKE FIGHTING GAMES I GUESS THIS IS ALL IRRELEVANT :|.

Date: 2009-04-06 02:19 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] aviy.livejournal.com
I like fighting games in theory but am bad at them and don't play them much )=

AND I HAVE A PS3